If you would like to help financially support my work here in Mexico, please contact me, or make a secure donation via paypal! Thanks!

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

learning spanish and making cupcakes

Hi!

I spent a huge part of yesterday helping one of the older girls with her English homework... Ana is 14, and I'm pretty sure she was attempting to coerce me into DOING the homework FOR her, but she quickly realized that wouldn't work. which meant that both of us had to use an online translator to communicate with each other and to figure out what exactly the directions were telling us to do. needless to say, this involved much time and maybe a little frustration, but we got it all done, and it ended up being just as much of a Spanish lesson for me as an English lesson for Ana. :)


Door of Faith has a tradition where each child's birthday is celebrated with their own homemade cake! All of the other kids also get cupcakes on each birthday. Today we had 2 birthdays, so Lauren and I spent the entire afternoon baking birthday cakes and cupcakes. It's a lot of work, but the kids LOVE it!


This morning, I also woke up early to see some of the kids off to school! Each day, our school age children make up a large part of the population of the 6 different public schools in the area. I can't begin to tell you how precious all the kids are lined up in their school uniforms and with their oversized, colorful backpacks! I hope to take better pictures of this soon!


This weekend we are hosting 4 groups on site, and providing projects for them all, so the next few days will be insane as we prepare for their arrival! But I am excited as this will be my first "weekend of insanity", as one of the other staff members calls it. :) I will post more SOON!!! :)

Here is a fun picture with some of the kids who frequent our living room... Jesus, Cinthia and Angelina. :)

3 comments:

Valerie Geary said...

I love it! :-) They all look so precious! I am glad you are there...

kwbrayton said...

Love the pics! I remember a visit to Oaxaca a long while back where I was in "deep" conversation with my English-Spanish electronic translator just having a grand old time "chatting" with a group of men I has just spent two weeks working along side. It was very special! It's all about building relationships. You are the skin of Jesus to these kids. Give each one of them a hug for me, okay?

Ye Olde Man

kwbrayton said...

Hmm, I see my English really hasn't improved either. Has, had...